Thursday, July 12, 2012

Westminster Abbey

Westminster Abbey

Today, I’m going to tell you about Westminster Abbey, the most recognizable church in England. If you’ve been following the English Royal Family, you’ve probably seen this place on the news. Most recently, it was the site of the Royal Wedding of Prince William and now-Princess Kate. Even if you don’t care about the monarchs, though, Westminster Abbey is still a beautiful church that is worth visiting. If you want, read my one of my other articles on London by clicking here.

Before Going: 9/10
Reason for Score: I had seen the Abbey a lot on T.V. J


Why you should go:
The three biggest interests at Westminster were the famous graves, the beautiful architecture, and the Royal Family. First, I saw a whole lot of famous people buried in the Abbey.  My favorites were Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Dickens, and Rudyard Kipling, who were all buried here. Second, I was really struck by the beauty of the building in general. The architects didn’t spare any expense in designing the building to be as detailed as it is huge. Of course, it helps to have access to the King’s checkbook J. Finally, the Royal Family has had a long history here. Coronations and other royal events have occurred here for almost a millennium.  I remember most watching the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate on the news. It was pretty cool to know the Abbey from T.V. before ever even going. I loved Westminster Abbey, and I hope you will too.


How:
It doesn’t really matter whether you enjoy the Abbey with or without a guide. The Abbey is a large place, but it is easy to navigate on your own. I went with a guide only to make sure I saw all of London before I had to leave. It takes roughly an hour to see the Abbey at a relaxed pace, but you could do it more quickly. Because of my aforementioned hurry, I did it in much less than an hour. The point is, make sure to see Westminster Abbey on your tour of London.


After Going: 9/10
Reason for Score: It is a great, historical church where Isaac Newton is buried






A statue of Oliver Cromwell in front of Westminsters Abbey, London, England
 The giant statue of Oliver Cromwell, an English hero

Me with my guide, John Gowing, by Westminster Abbey, London, England
 Me and my guide, John Gowing, outside the Abbey

The beautiful architecture of Westminster Abbey, London, England
Can you see the change in the design of the buttresses? This was caused of kings in England. The new king wanted to outdo his predecessor and leave his mark on the church.

Decorative statues in front of Westminster Abbey, London, England
Decorative statues that are as big as I am!

Looking at Westminster Abbey and its stained glass windows
Yeah, it's that big

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.