Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Solar Boat, Cairo

2. The Solar Boat
Before Going: 4/10
Reason for Score: I thought before going that to see a boat next to the Pyramids was a waste of time that I could’ve spent on better things

Why you should: I really didn’t want to see the Solar Bark before I got there. The only real reason I went was because it was included on the ticket. However, it was quite an awesome thing. Inside the building is a small table and chairs that have remained in position and undisturbed since President Obama sat in them during his visit to Egypt. This was kind of cool to me, as an American, and a nice addition to the boat. However, the main attraction was the gigantic, wooden, four-millennium old boat, and that wasn’t disappointing. It is very big, but also sleek and slender, and pleasing to look at. It was also mind-blowing to think that this was the structure built to carry the Pharaoh into his afterlife. I came out of this with a very different opinion, and would now recommend it to anybody.

How:You’ll have to buy a separate ticket, so make sure to decide whether or not to go before you enter Giza. If you’re in a tour, consult your guide the day before to see whether or not it is open and if it is included in your tour. Bring a camera, and try photographing it from many different angles.

After Going: 8/10
Reason for Score: I was surprised about how enjoyable it was, and it is a great add on to any Giza tour.


Email me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com with any questions or comments.

That's not the Solar Boat! It's in the small white building
Yeah, that's just a 4,500 year old wooden boat
The boat, from the upper observation deck
Me, in front of the King's cabin
Me and "Obama's Chairs," in the exact same condition as when he visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.