Friday, July 6, 2012

The Dead Sea-Don't miss it!

I've written this post about the Dead Sea, the saltiest body of water on Earth. The ridiculously high salt levels cause you to float like a cork in its waters. That also means that it hurts alot to get it in your eyes, mouth, or any open cuts. The Sea is located in the West Bank portion of Israel. It is a totally alien experience to go there, and I'd suggest it to anyone.

The Dead Sea
Before Going: 6/10
Reason for Score: I’d seen pictures, but I didn’t think it would be that different from the ocean

WHY YOU SHOULD:
I originally didn’t think it would be that fun, but by the end I was sad to leave. It is one thing to see it in pictures or in a book, but it’s quite another to really be there. The most unbelievable experience I have ever had is to lie on water like a mattress. It’s pretty cool. The water feels exactly like normal water, right up until you lay back in it. The scene is always very quiet there-as any splashing leads to a very painful and salty end to your swim- and it is very surreal. Swimming is stranger here than anywhere (if you can even call it swimming), and it never gets old to cruise around on your stomach with half your body out of the water. I loved the Dead Sea, and it should not be missed.
How:
You should try to go with a group or hire a guide, if only because roads through the West Bank are confusing and sometimes dangerous. Make sure you bring water shoes or cheap sandals, as the beaches are covered with sharp stones and chunks of salt. You’ll need these in the water too-the jagged rocks underwater are no friendlier. Most beaches have showers and changing rooms, but it never hurts to ask your guide before going. Above all, make sure not to get water in your eyes or cuts, because the salt burns and is tough to get out.

After Going: 10/10
Reason for score: It is a crazy feeling to lie on water like you do on a bed.
Email me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.comwith any questions or comments.
The Dead Sea-lowest point on the face of the Earth

That's not a magic trick

The Superman pose, one of dozens of Dead Sea swimming options

Got a book anyone?

The very lively Dead Sea

Watch your feet!

The rather obvious Dead Sea bathing rules (click picture to read)

The safety guidelines in every language you could think of

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Practical and raises my excitement for my trip. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.