Friday, July 6, 2012

The Great Pyramid-Going Inside

This is going to be a long post everybody, so just hold on. I’ve decided to talk one of the most well known but least understood monuments in the world, The Pyramids at Giza. Now I’m pretty knowledgeable about the Pyramids-I was able to hold my own with a certified Egyptologist- but there are a lot of things you just can’t read in a book. These things I will share with you now. It would’ve helped me greatly, and I hope it helps you. The best three experiences people miss at the Pyramids are:

1. Going inside the Great Pyramid-Before Going: 7/10
Reason for Score: I wasn’t sure just what was so special about going inside.


Why you should: Now, looking back, I really can’t imagine why so many people don’t do this. It truly is an amazing experience. I really got a thrill from being where the famous Pharaohs were laid to rest 4,500 years ago. Also, you’re following in the footsteps of famous people, joining the ranks of such humans as Herodotus and Napoleon, who just may have found their way in through the same passageways you’re in*. Another reason is that it is a great sound byte. You’re friends and family may not know about the other two, less prestigious pyramids. Finally, you don’t want to have regrets. Don’t you want to look back on your Egypt trip and say that you did everything you could have? This is why you should go in the Great Pyramid.


How:Now, getting inside the Pyramid is a little difficult. You’ll have to buy a Great Pyramid ticket at the gate, and only a certain number are issued every day. I recommend that you try to get there before 10 A.M. If you’re on a group tour, you’ll have to talk to your guide in advance about purchasing the ticket. It is most likely not included in your tour fee. I also recommend that you bring a small, handheld flashlight. It is not too dark inside, but it is still better to be able to light up what you’re looking at.

I would post pictures, but you have to leave your camera outside the Great Pyramid’s entrance.

After Going: 10/10
Reason for Score: It is a highly rewarding experience that you should not miss.







Email me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com with any questions or comments. Please.
*-Assuming that the Thieves Entrance existed in that time, as some evidence suggests otherwise


Above: In front of the Great Pyramid
Going inside the Great Pyramid
Picture from the Camel 'dealership,' Great Pyramid on far left

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.