Friday, July 20, 2012

Three Steps to Enjoy Travel

How to enjoy travel according to a 14 year old (me):


Step 1. Meet People
You can understand another culture a lot better if you talk to a few locals than if you read an encyclopedia (though I would recommend doing both). There are many people in the Middle East and Europe who I would consider my friends. Now, when I say meet people, I don't mean just walk up to a person on the street and expect to become lifelong companions. Instead, maybe ask the tour guides a few more questions than the average tourist. Or strike up a conversation with a shopkeeper about local events. It makes your trip much more enjoyable if you can get a local's perspective.

Step 2. Don't be lazy
You can sleep in another time, folks. For many people, a trip like this is a once in a lifetime event. Use your time here to the fullest. Get up early, stay out late, always be rushing to the next sight. Enjoy yourself! To get the most out of your time, it helps to know what you want to see, so you may want to research a little beforehand. There is always one more thing you can visit!

Step 3. Go outside your comfort zone
Most of the time, people plan vacations to relax. I think that vacations should be a time to try new things; a time to be adventurous. Whenever you think you are too tired, or too nervous, or you don't have enough time, ask yourself "when will I have the chance to do this again?" Another part of getting out of your comfort zone is abandoning technology. Computers and Ipads should be left at home. Sure, bring your phone, but don't use it to check your email five times a day. When my Dad and I were in the Middle East, we joked that there could have been a new President elected in America and we wouldn't know it. I think that it's a good thing to be unplugged from the news for a little while.

Abide by these three simple ideas and your trip to wherever you're going will be a pleasant one.

Email me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com. I would love to answer your questions and respond to your suggestions.

Click here to go back to the site's homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.