Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Helicopter Tour of Chicago

Helicopter Tour of Chicago

Today, I took a helicopter tour with of the city of Chicago with Sun Aero Helicopters. I have to say, seeing the tallest buildings in Chicago up close out the side of a helicopter is awe-inspiring. I wrote this review about the Sun Aero tours and about helicopter rides in general.


Before Going: 10/10
Reason for Score: I thought it would be cool to take a helicopter tour
Note: This review does not put the Sun Aero Helicopter Tour on scale with other 10/10s, like the Pyramids. The helicopter tour of Chicago receives a 10/10 for Chicago, where there is not really an abundance of world shattering historical sites. Still, riding a helicopter is pretty cool, and is certainly worth a review on my site.



What is it?
My review of the Sun Aero (don’t ask me about the name, it seems weird to me too) Helicopter Tour is really broken up into three distinct parts; the marshes, the lakefront, and the inner city. The tour begins in a small airport/heliport outside of Chicago, from which you first visit the marshes. The marshes, a name that I made up for this review, are a small area outside of Chicago crisscrossed (yeah, that's a word) by canals and swamps. It is actually kind of fun to see the tiny barges and shipping vessels meandering through the small locks and waterways. However, this is far surpassed by the next part of the helicopter tour, the lakefront. Imagine the view of Chicago that you always see on T.V., but outside the window of the helicopter! The lakefront tour takes you over some of Chicago’s most famous landmarks, such as Soldier Field, the Museum of Science and Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium. Still, my favorite part of the whole helicopter tour is the inner city of Chicago. When I say Inner City, I mean weaving in between buildings! The pilot of the helicopter took us right around the skyscrapers that Chicago is famous for. We could even see the people inside the Sears Tower! Lastly, we circled back around Chicago and returned to the airport.



Why you should go:
I would recommend a helicopter tour to three sets of people; people who like thrills, people who like views, and people who like Batman. People who like thrills would enjoy flying through the air in one of the most unique machines on Earth, the helicopter. It isn’t exactly a roller coaster ride, but I still found it exciting. Next, the helicopter is a great vehicle to take in the views of Chicago. You can see every building and monument in a way that you just couldn’t match from the ground. Not to mention that you can take great pictures out the windows of the helicopter. Finally people who like Batman are rewarded by the views of Gotham City, most of which was constructed from Chicago. Christopher Nolan filmed most of the panoramic shots of Gotham here, out the doors of helicopters, for his Dark Knight trilogy. I’ll talk a little bit more about Batman in my next post. So, in summary, fans of adrenaline, panoramas, and Gotham should go. Conveniently for me, I fall into all three of those categories.



How:
I don’t really have too much advice for this one. Make sure to bring a coat, because it sometimes gets cold up there in flying helicopters, and sunglasses, for the glare from buildings. The tour length depends on how long you have scheduled for. Nevertheless, if you have the option to, I recommend scheduling your tour in the morning. In my opinion, the lighting is best at that time for helicopter riding. If you decide to take a helicopter tour with Sun Aero, be aware that they are a little hard to make plans with. Don’t forget to confirm your tour before making any definite assumptions. Also, don’t forget to check the weather frequently before your tour. The tour may be rescheduled if there is any sign of rain. Finally, don’t get angry if the company tells you that their helicopter is broken. That happened to me, but I figured that it was a lot better for it to break before my tour than during it. You can find Sun Aero Helicopters at www.sunaerohelicopters.com.



After Going: 10/10
Reason for Score: I could see the people in the Sears Tower!

Email me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com with anything; questions, comments, concerns, you name it.

Have you ever been in a helicopter? Or been to Chicago? Tell us about it in the comments section and you may be recognized in my next post.

I apologize for the quality of the photos, my Dad only took ones where you can see me :)

I am not at all affiliated with Sun Aero Helicopters, I actually don't care about them whatsoever.

 On the tarmac

 Flying out over houses

 Flying up the lakeshore towards the city

 The buildings of Chic- ahem, Gotham

 Preparing to buzz the Sears Tower

Back on the pad

2 comments:

  1. I agree. A helicopter ride is a great way to see Chi-town. I took a helicopter flying lesson and actually had the opportunity to control the flying machine myself. No doors on the chopper I might add! It was a great thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bow too.Getting on the helicopter is the best experience that you never forget it once you attempt.

    nicolestadt

    ReplyDelete

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.