Saturday, June 9, 2012

Top sights of Petra: The Royal Tombs


I've made this post about what I think is one of the most cool and little known sites in Petra, The Royal Tombs. These are a collection of giant stone buildings carved into the sides of cliffs where the kings of Petra may have once been buried. Below are all of the things you need to know about getting the most out of your visit to them.


·         The Important Tombs, from left to right
Ø  Palace Tomb- A very large and obviously important tomb in its day. You can go inside, but there is only an empty room


Ø  Corinthian Tomb- This tomb, although decrepit, is still impressive. I also don’t advise going inside


Ø  Urn Tomb- Probably the best preserved of the three, the Urn tomb is accessible by a flight of steps leading up from ground level. The inside isn’t spectacular, but is worth a look.


·         Look inside any small caves or openings that you find- you may be surprised what you find. I’ve seen everything from a makeshift home to an escaped camel to an ignored tomb.
·         It is best to see the Royal Tombs from a distance. My favorite place to look at them from is the hill opposite the Great Temple and Qasr-al-Bint in the valley







E-mail me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com with any questions.

A panorama of the Royal Tombs from my favorite spot-mentioned above
The Palace Tomb
The Corinthian Tomb
The Urn Tomb and the steps leading up to it
Inside the Urn Tomb-Once converted into a church

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.