Saturday, June 9, 2012

The High Place of Sacrifice








                I was very prepared when I went to see Petra a month ago. I read everything that I could find about it and learned a lot. However, there were still many things that surprised me. Below, I’ve written everything that you couldn’t know about Petra without going there. It would’ve helped me a lot. I hope it helps you.
The High Place of Sacrifice
·         Located on the left hand side of someone coming out of the Siq, between the Treasury and the Theater.
·         It’s not very well marked- you’ll have to keep your eyes peeled for the small sign on the canyon floor.
·         A short, somewhat steep climb up stairs that can take between 15 and 30 minutes
·         The Three objects of interest at the top:
Ø  The High Place of Sacrifice- a large stone “pit” with channels for the draining of sacrificial blood; found by turning left shortly after you reach the top of the stairs
Ø  The Viewpoint, a flat rock with fantastic views of most of Petra; to get to go straight following the flow of people
Ø  The Obelisks, two worn-looking stone pillars of unknown purpose; behind the stairs. It is easier to find on your way back from the Viewpoint or by turning left immediately after the last stair.
·         Best time to visit: If it is a hot day or you don’t have much time, it is best to go early in the morning and make the climb first thing after you see the Treasury. This will give you extra time to spend at the top (shoot for between 9 and 11 A.M.). If you have longer or it is not as hot, come back after seeing everything you want to see and climb it before leaving. This means that you can recognize everything you’ve seen in the valley (best between 2 and 3 PM).

Choose to go to any one or all of the sights depending on how much time you have or your interests. The High Place climb is a very rewarding experience for those people done with seeing the main attractions of Petra.


E-mail me at michaelworldtravel@gmail.com with any questions, as usual


Seeing the tourist road, probably looking just as it would've in ancient times


The view from the viewpoint, if you thought I was kidding


The actual High Place of Sacrifice, a little more modest than the name suggests


I wonder what this was...


Did anyone lose their 9 foot pillars of stone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, give me your feedback on my blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.